The purpose of the qualification is to enable qualifying learners to apply the relevant competences required to fulfill the roles and responsibilities of a Local Government councillor and therein:
- Act as representatives of the community they serve.
- Provide leadership roles in a council.
- Act as custodians or guardians of public finances.
The learning outcomes contained in this qualification are based on the competencies required to contribute to municipal processes from a councillor perspective. These competences relate to:
- Demonstrating an understanding of the interests of the people in a municipality.
- Demonstrating an understanding of the main issues in their municipality.
- Providing the link between the public and the council and ensuring primary loyalty to the public.
- Participating in policy making.
- Participating in decision-making pertaining to local government matters.
- Passing by laws.
- Giving direction to the related administration.
Learners entering this qualification may come from various backgrounds and will generally be persons, elected for the purpose of serving as a Local Government councillor in order to achieve municipal objectives.