The purpose of the qualification is to enable qualifying learners to apply the relevant competences required for proactive participation as a Ward Committee member so that they achieve municipal objectives.
The learning outcomes contained in this qualification are based on the competencies required to contribute to the effectiveness of municipal processes from a Ward Committee perspective. These competences relate to:
- Conducting or participating in formal and informal meetings to achieve Ward Committee objectives.
- Involvement in and giving advice on municipal projects.
- Assisting in implementing municipal objectives and overall objectives of Local Government by displaying an understanding of core municipal functions as they relate to a Ward Committee context.
- Facilitating relations between Local Government and citizens to effectively support the implementation of its objectives.
- Facilitating service delivery in a Ward Committee context.
The learners entering this qualification may come from various backgrounds and will be persons who have been nominated by their community onto a Ward Committee to represent the needs of the community, while archiving municipal objectives. It will create an opportunity for the learner to be exposed to various municipal processes and pursue a learning pathway in counselling for Local Government. The qualifying learner will be able to participate actively in overall democracy through proactive community involvement in local government processes.