This Further Education and Training Certificate Qualification has been designed for people who are interested or involved in planning and implementing a variety of community development initiatives and processes across a variety of social and economic contexts. This Qualification forms part of a learning and career pathway in community development and provides access to further learning within the current regulatory framework.
This Qualification will facilitate the development of people who may be fulfilling the role of community development workers towards empowering communities to manage their own integrated, sustainable development and the alleviation of poverty. The Qualification ultimately aims to provide community development workers with the necessary skills and competencies to create a better life for all.
The learners credited with this Qualification would include people interested or involved in community development practice and/or initiatives in one or more of the following sectors:
- Traditional, Local, Provincial and Central Government.
- Social Development.
- Youth Development.
- Early Childhood Development (ECD).
- Education (Formal, informal and non-formal).
- Public Works.
- Water Affairs and Forestry.
- Gender Equality and Women's Empowerment.
- Victim Empowerment.
- Conflict Management.
- Civil Society Organisations (CBOs, NGOs and FBOs, Foundations and Trusts).
- Corporate Social Responsibility.
This Qualification will help learner improve their understanding of their role and responsibilities of community development workers and it will provide them with the knowledge, skills, attitudes to operate in an effective and efficient manner within the community arena.
The successful learner will be able to:
- Apply theories/approaches of community development in a specific context.
- Facilitate a community initiative/process.
- Build and maintain relationship in a specific community context.
- Plan and manage an integrated community development project in a specific context.
- Demonstrate understanding of the holistic and integrated regulatory framework impacting on community development in a specific context.