The purpose of the qualification is to enable qualifying learners to apply the relevant competences required to fulfil the roles and responsibilities of a local government councillor in a managerial capacity:
- Act as representatives of the community they serve.
- Provide leadership and management roles in a council and local government divisions.
The learning outcomes contained in this qualification are based on the competencies required to contribute to municipal processes from a councillor perspective in a managerial/leadership capacity. These competences relate to:
- Interpreting the legal framework that impacts on local government and integrating it into overall municipal governance functions.
- Applying theories and processes to facilitate local government elections.
- Appling the broad managerial and administrative framework to municipal governance.
- Applying the principles of sustainable development in local government.
- Applying local government planning processes for municipal governance and local government development.
- Participating in municipal policy making and analysis processes.