The purpose of this qualification is to provide learners, education and training providers and employers with the standards and the range of learning required to work effectively within various industries, making use of electrical engineering knowledge and skills to meet the challenges of such an environment.
Qualifying learners will also be able to relate their learning to scientific and technological principles and concepts. They will also be able to maintain and support the various policies and procedures related to the safety, health, environment and quality systems that govern their workplace. This qualification will enable the learner to find employment as a skilled worker or become self employed as a single phase worker in the electrical field.
Qualifying learners at NQF Level 3 will be able to:
- Understand electrical equipment and protection technology and interpret integrated circuit schematics.
- Install and commission electrical equipment on integrated electrical circuits.
- Maintain and repair electrical equipment on integrated electrical circuits.
- Evaluate and solve familiar problems pertaining to electrical equipment, integrated electrical circuits and related processes.
- Accept responsibility for utilising and maintaining equipment without working under direct supervision.
The status and relevance of this qualification will attract and retain quality learners and employees, and is the second step along a recognised and meaningful career path. Qualifying learners will be able to relate the tasks and processes to scientific and technological principles and concepts. They will also be able to maintain and support the various policies and procedures integral to safety, health and the environment. Learner achievements in this qualification will also serve as a basis for further learning to engage in more complex installation, maintenance and repair activities and processes.